A short compendium of important decisions of Central Information Commission
Vishal Mishra has sent us a short compendium of important decisions of Central Information Commission given in 2013 which is reproduced below. We appreciate the work done by him and call upon all our readers to share any material regarding RTI.
NOTABLE DECISIONS OF CENTRAL INFORMATION COMMISSION
· SC Aggarwal v. INC and others [File No CIC/SM/C/2011/001386]: Political parties are public authorities.
· SC Agrawal v. MHA [CIC/BS/C/2013/000149/LS]: DDs/Banker cheques/IPOs payable to Accounts officers to be accepted and RTI stamps to be issued.
· SC Agrawal v. IFFCO [CIC/SS/A/2011/001245]: IFFCO, a multi-state cooperative society, was declared not to be a public authority.
· R.Bansal v. AWHO [CIC/LS/A/2013/000543]: AWHO, a registered society, was declared to be a public authority.
· Chander Shekhar v. BSNL [CIC/AD/A/2009/001366]: Evaluation report in a tender floated by BSNL worth Rs. 40,000 is not exempt from disclosure under Section 8(1)(d).
· AD Sharma v. MCD [CIC/DS/A/2012/002173]: Inspection of third party properties would attract Section 8(1)(j) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, there shall be no obligation to give any citizen, information which relates to personal information the disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity or interest, or which would cause unwarranted invasion of the privacy of the individual unless the Central Public Information Officer or the State Public Information Officer or the appellate authority, as the case may be, is satisfied that the larger public interest justifies the disclosure of such information: Provided that the information which cannot be denied to the Parliament or a State Legislature shall not be denied to any person. of the RTI Act and CIC does not have ‘plenary power’ to direct MCD to allow inspection of private properties.
· SC Agarwal v. Lok Sabha Secretariat [CIC/SM/A/2012/000026]: Providing complete correspondence between Speaker and PM for past 3 years would attract Section 7(9).
· Aseem Takyar v. MHA [CIC/SS/A/2012/003434]: Letters written by Home Minister to each CMs concerning National Counter Terrorism Center cannot be provided as it relates to functioning of security agencies.
· SC Agrawal v. BCAS and MHA [CIC/SS/A/2012/003768]: The information on exemption to Shri Robert Vadra from pre-embarkation security checks was sought. Matter is listed for another hearing.
· SC Agrawal v. MHA [CIC/SS/C/2012/000754]: MHA directed to file an affidavit to support that there are no annexures to Vohra Committee Report (Vohra Committee Report is on criminalization of politics).
· Anil Bairwal v. PMO and Ors. [CIC/SM/A/2013/000461]: Information as to whether PM and MPs have claimed pensionary benefits from international agencies is not available with Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha secretariats.