Power Purchase Bill of KSEB shows a steep rise over past three years
Reply to an application filed under the Right to Information (RTI) Act has revealed interesting statistics about the purchase of electricity by the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB).
1. The per-day power purchase bill of the KSEB
· it was a little over Rs 10 crore in 2010-11,
· it more than doubled to Rs 21.4 crore in 2013-14
2. The quantum and value of electricity units purchased by KSEB
· It purchased 10512.27 Million Units (MU) worth Rs 3721.59 crore in 2010-11
· 14908.82 MU worth Rs 5881.06 crore were purchased in 2013-14 till January
3. KSEB paid Rs 7199.61 crore in 2012-13 which is the highest amount ever paid by it for the purchase of electricity. However, it is expected that in the financial year 2103-14, the amount would be surpassed with increasing demand due to surging heat.
4. Over past three years, the amount spent by KSEB on power purchase has increased by nearly 58 %.
5. The average daily demand in Kerala is nearly 65 to 68 MU, of which 25 to 28 MU is being purchased from outside. The daily demand rises in the summer and the KSEB is taking steps to reduce the dependency on hydel energy and tap alternative methods of power generation.