Information relating to Cricket Team of KVS - application was transferred to KV No.1 and information was provided only after the orders of the FAA - CIC: application mishandled; the Commissioner, KVS to ensure that FAAs are duly apprised of the RTI Act
Information relating to the Cricket National Team of KVS Delhi Region - application was transferred to KV No.1 and information was provided only after the orders of the FAA - CIC: RTI has been mishandled; the Commissioner, KVS, New Delhi should ensure that FAAs are duly apprised of the RTI Act and told to adhere to the prescribed timelines
Heard today, dated 09.10.2013. Appellant is present. The Public Authority is represented by Shri GR Dua, Asstt Commissioner (Admn)/PIO, KVS RO Delhi.
FACTS Vide RTI dt 19.9.12, appellant had sought information on 7 points relating to Under 16 Cricket National Team 2012 (Boys).
2. PIO vide letter dt 25.10.12, provided a response to query no.1 and in respect of query 2-7, transferred the RTI to Principal, KV no.1, Delhi Cantt for providing the information, who vide his letter dt 3.11.12, provided a response.
3. An appeal was filed on 22.11.12.
4. Submissions made by the appellant and public authority were heard. A copy of the AA’s order dt 18.3.13, is submitted to the Commission by the PIO and taken on record. AA observed that the information sought by the appellant was relating to KVS (Delhi Region) Under 16 Cricket National Team. PIO KVS RO Delhi was directed to provide information pertaining to points 2-7 within fifteen days. PIO submitted that in pursuance of the above orders, a response was provided vide letter dt 28.3.13. Appellant submits that he has not received this letter. Appellant further submitted that he has no use for this information as it was not provided to him in time. It was his contention that he was seeking this information as the process of selection was not proper and that his son who was a good Cricket player, was denied a position in the team. He has sought imposition of penalty and compensation for delay in being provided the information.
6. The Commission finds that the information sought in the RTI has been mishandled. While the appellant was seeking information relating to the Cricket National Team of KVS Delhi Region, the RTI was transferred to Principal, KV No.1, Delhi Cantt for providing the information. Appropriate information was provided to him only after the orders of the FAA dt 18.3.13.
7. The Commission finds that there has been an inordinate delay on the part of the FAA in reviewing the decision of the CPIO and providing a response. The appellant’s appeal is dt 22.11.12 while the AA’s order is issued on 18.3.13. There is no explanation as to why there has been an inordinate delay in responding by the FAA.
8. The Commission notes with concern the inordinate delay by the FAA, which is in total violation of the provisions of the RTI Act. We direct the Commissioner, KVS, New Delhi to ensure that Appellate Officers of the KVS are duly apprised of the provisions of the RTI Act and told to adhere to the timeline as stipulated in the Act. The appeal is disposed of.
Central Information Commissioner
Citation: Shri Rajveer Singh Verma v. KV No.1, Delhi Cantt. & KVS in File No. CIC/RM/A/2013/000710