Information regarding a particular demand draft, copy of deposit slip, details of account like number, name and address were denied u/s 8(1)(d) and 8(1)(j) - Appellant: demand draft was in his favour and credited to his account - CIC: provide information
1. The appellant filed an application dated 15.05.2012 under the RTI Act, seeking information regarding the details about a particular demand draft, copy of deposit slip, details of account number, name of the account holder including address, etc. CPIO vide letter dated 13.06.2012 denied the information under section 8 (1)(d) and (j) of the RTI Act. Appellant filed first appeal before the first appellate authority (FAA) on 18.06.2012. FAA vide order dated 09.07.2012 upheld the decision of the CPIO. Appellant filed this present second appeal on 28.12.2012.
2. Appellant and respondent were present before the Commission.
3. Appellant referred to his RTI application and stated that he was seeking information regarding the details about a particular demand draft, copy of deposit slip, details of account number, name of the account holder including address, etc.
4. Appellant stated that certain amount was deposited in his account vide demand draft issued by the respondent bank. Appellant stated that in this light he wanted to know who had made those demand drafts in his favour and credited directly to his account.
5. Appellant stated that he had a connection with the account holder because, the demand drafts were in his favour and credited to his account and he was a party in the transaction.
6. Respondent stated the appellant did not have an account in their bank and had no relation with the account holder on which he sought the information in the RTI application. Respondent stated that the information of their customer was held in fiduciary relationship and the information sought by the appellant was denied under section 8(1)(d) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, there shall be no obligation to give any citizen, information including commercial confidence, trade secrets or intellectual property, the disclosure of which would harm the competitive position of a third party, unless the competent authority is satisfied that larger public interest warrants the disclosure of such information; and (j) of the RTI Act.
7. The appellant is connected with the information sought. This should be provided to him.
8. Respondent is directed to provide to the appellant, within 30 days of this order, the information sought in para 3 above in context of the RTI application. The appeal is disposed of. Copy of decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Sajan Singh v. Gurgaon Gramin Bank in Decision No.CIC/VS/A/2013/000302/05663