Information regarding details of the vehicles registered outside the state of UP but insured by the New India Insurance in Moradabad etc was sought - PIO: information was not available in the format sought - CIC: denial upheld u/s 8(1)(d), (e) and (j)
1. The appellant, Shri Pawan Agarwal, submitted RTI application dated 24 June 2013 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), National Insurance Co. Ltd. (NICL), Moradabad, seeking information regarding details of the vehicles registered outside the state of Uttar Pradesh but insured by the New India Insurance Co. Ltd in the district Moradabad etc.
2. Asstt. Manager/CPIO, NICL, Moradabad vide letter dated 26.6.2013 informed the appellant that the information as sought for in the format was not available with them.
3. The Not satisfied with the response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
4. The matter was heard by the Commission. The CPIO stated that there is no bar in insuring the vehicles anywhere in India irrespective of registration of the vehicles in any State. The information in the format as sought for by the appellant is not maintained by the respondents. The information cannot be shared with the appellant, as it would jeopardize their commercial confidence and trade secrets, and competitive position of the company. There are about 25 other insurance companies in the market and their data can be used by other companies, if the same is divulged to unrelated person/persons. The appellant in his second appeal had also not established any larger public interest which warrants the disclosure of such information.
5. The Commission accepts the submissions of the respondents. The information as sought for by the appellant cannot be divulged under the provisions of Section 8(1) (d), (e) and (j) of the RTI Act, 2005. The decision of the CPIO and FAA is upheld. The appeal is disposed of.
Citation: Shri Pawan Agarwal v. National Insurance Co. Ltd. In Appeal: No. CIC/DS/A/2013/002602/MP