Information regarding details of order and officer by whose order password change facility has been withdrawn - CIC: it is a matter of larger public interest; the issue needs to be examined at senior level by CEO Prasar Bharti and by the Chief Controller
1. In her RTI application dated 04 January, 2013 the applicant has sought from the CPIO, Pay & Account Officer (IRLA), Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, New Delhi, information regarding details of various officers posted in different offices at Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai & Guwahati getting salary through PAO (IRLA) Delhi, officers from whom CGHS and transport allowances was being deducted and not deducted including those officers who retired in last 2/4 years, order and officer by whose order password change facility has been withdrawn, rule under which pay slip of an individual is made accessible to all by making default password as date of birth, action taken to restart the password change facility and other related information through 3 points.
2. The CPIO vide his orders dated 23 January 2013, 4 February 2013 and 5 February 2013, provided point wise information in parts through which he informed Appellant that no compiled information is being maintained regarding point 1, application has already been forwarded to different departments for providing information sought by point 2 and regarding point 3, the password change facility was discounted due to withdrawal of support by vendor, a new website is made operational, earlier facilities available could not be restored due to lack of expertise and for the convenience of officers pay slip information is made accessible through default password.
3. Not satisfied with the reply of the CPIO, Appellant preferred an appeal dated 19 February 2013 before the FAA.
4. The FAA by his order 15 March 2013 provided further information to Appellant and offered Appellant to inspect the records available in office of the PAO (IRLA). Thus being aggrieved by the order passed by the FAA, the Appellant filed her second appeal before the Commission.
5. Matter was heard today.
Both parties as above appeared in person and made submissions.
6. After hearing both the parties, Commission observes in respect of point 3 of the RTI application that the CPIO provided the file notings while examining the matter of 'password change' facility and the restoration of the facility which was withdrawn about one year ago. The above information specifics may be provided to the appellant within two weeks of receipt of the order.
7. Further, Commission is of the view that this matter which has been highlighted at point 3 of the RTI application, is indeed a matter of larger public interest and that in the interest of transparency combined with the need for protecting the privacy of the officers covered by IRLA, the issue needs to be examined at senior level by CEO Prasar Bharti and by the Chief Controller of Accounts. Accordingly Commission directs that a copy of this order the marked to both the aforementioned officers.
(Smt. Deepak Sandhu)
Chief Information Commissioner
Citation: Ms. Madhu Dang v. Ministry of Information & Broadcasting in Appeal: No. CIC/SM/A/2013/000590/DS