Copies of TA, DA & LTC availed by three bank EDs alongwith copies of supportive documents were sought - PIO provided only a list of tours & not the copies of bills - CIC: diverting manpower to look into the old records would affect their working adversely
1. The appellant, Shri H N Wadhwa, submitted RTI application dated 25 April 2013 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), Punjab National Bank, New Delhi, seeking information regarding TA & DA bills claimed by Officials of the bank, through a total of 3 points.
2. Vide reply dated 17 May 2013, CPIO concerned furnished the information sought by the appellant. Not satisfied with the information furnished by the CPIO, the appellant preferred appeal dated 28 June 2013, before the first appellate authority (FAA) stating that information furnished to him is incomplete. No order has been passed by the FAA in this case.
3. Not satisfied with the response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
4. The matter was heard today. The appellant submitted that he had sought the copies of TA, DA & LTC availed of by three Executive Directors of the bank namely Shri Rakesh Sethi, Smt. Anantsubramanian and Shri S R Bansal, alongwith copies of supportive documents but the CPIO had provided only a list of tours and not the copies of bills. The respondents submitted that the information sought by the appellant had already been furnished to the appellant. The appellant raised an objection stating that copy of air ticket or details pertaining to airlines had not been provided to him. The respondent submitted that information cannot be furnished to the appellant as it would result in avoidable diversion of manpower to collect and collate this information from old files and sought exemption under u/s 7(9) An information shall ordinarily be provided in the form in which it is sought unless it would disproportionately divert the resources of the public authority or would be detrimental to the safety or preservation of the record in question. of the RTI Act, 2005.
5. The Commission in its previous order No. CIC/SG/A/2011/003248/16932 dated 18 January 2012 has observed and upheld the FAA’s decision to provide the certified copies of air ticket and boarding passes containing all requisites information i.e. date and time along with flight Number and name of the airlines.
6. The Commission agrees with the respondent that diverting the manpower to look into the old records in these cases to get details of TA/DA & LTC would affect their working adversely. Therefore, as also agreed by the appellant and in light of the abovementioned order, the Commission directs the respondent to provide photocopy of TA bills & air ticket for the month of April 2013 in respect of all the three Executive Directors severing any third party information, if any. The appeal is disposed of.
Citation: Shri H.N Wadhwa v. Punjab National Bank in Appeal: No. CIC/VS/A/2013/001975/MP