Applicant sought information about the prescribed facilities in a running room & a rest room for Loco Pilots, eligibility for rest after duty and the prescribed period of rest, instructions for medical checkup etc. - CIC: provide the information in 30 day
1. The appellant filed an RTI application dated 14.12.2012 seeking information on various facilities provided in the Running Room/Rest Room by Railway Admn. The appellant also wanted to know under which rule and circumstances the running staff will be treated as under rest. The appellant said that due to failure of the electricity in the Running Room/Rest Room, the Loco Pilot cannot take rest, and whether there is any rule for not being treated as under rest. The appellant also sought copy of his service record. The appellant also sought information on other service matters. The appellant filed first appeal dated 24.01.2013 with First Appellate Authority (FAA). The response of PIO and FAA is not on record. The appellant filed a second appeal on 12.03.2013 with the Commission.
2. The appellant and respondent both participated in the hearing through video conferencing.
3. The appellant referred to his RTI application dated 14.12.2012 and stated that he wants the following information :
a) what are the prescribed facilities in a running room and a rest room for Loco Pilot.
b) is the supply of electricity mandatory in a running room and rest room.
c) what are the rules pertaining to the facilities provided to the Loco Pilot i.e. how many hours of duties does a Loco Pilot have to undertake to become eligible for rest and what is the prescribed period of rest. The appellant stated that he has asked this question because very often due to the failure of electric supply in running room and rest room the Loco Pilot does not get the prescribed rest. The appellant further stated that rest period is irregular and there is lot of confusion on this issue. The appellant wanted copy of rules pertaining to duties of Loco Pilot.
d) instructions for medical checkup.
e) norms applicable if a Loco Pilot has to take the assistance of other staff.
4. The respondent stated that they will provide copy of the rules pertinent to facilities to the Loco Pilot in running room and rest room. The respondent further stated that they will provide copy of rules pertaining to duties of Loco Pilot which contained duty hours, rest hours etc. The respondent said that there could be situations where the medical examination may get delayed due to various factors such as the availability of doctors and the availability of the person to be medically examined.
5. The respondent is directed to provide information to the appellant, within 30 days of this order, on para 3 above along with copies of the rules as mentioned above, in context of the RTI application.
The appeal is disposed of. Copy of the decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Keshav Singh v. North Central Railway in Decision No. CIC/AD/C/2013/000692/VS/07900