154 mobile phones seized in 157 raids from Goa jail6 Apr, 2014
An application was filed under the Right to Information (RTI) Act seeking details of action taken against prisoners found with mobile phones in the Goa jail during the last 10 years. As per the information provided by the superintendents of central jail (Aguada) and sub-jail (Sada), 154 mobile phones were seized in 157 raids between 2004 and 2014 by the jail authorities. Out of these, 24 mobile phones were seized in 31 raids at the Central Jail while 130 phones were seized during 126 searches at the Sada sub-jail.
The reply shows that earlier, the state government used to take action only under Goa Prison Rules against prisoners found with mobile phones. However, in the case of Tarun Tejpal from whom mobile phone was seized from the jail, a FIR has been filed:-
· under three sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC),
· a section of the Prisons Act, 1894, and
· a rule of the Goa Prison Rules, 2006.
After a mobile phone was found in the possession of Tejpal at the Sada sub-jail in February, he was booked under :-
1. IPC Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 130 (aiding escape of, rescuing or harbouring such prisoner), 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant),
2. Section 46 of the Prisons Act, 1894, and
3. Rule 117 (19) of the Goa Prison Rules, 2006.
In earlier seizures, the jail authorities have informed that the mobile phones were confiscated and punishment as per Goa Prison Rules, 2006, was awarded. Show-cause notices were issued to defaulting prisoners as per Rule 114 of the Goa Prisons Rules, 2006, and they were warned not to repeat this offence.