PIO: before 1996, the age limit for sponsoring of persons for the training was 40 years for general candidates with relaxation of 5 years in the case of SC/ST candidates - CIC: provide the eligibility criteria for course at National Fire Service College22 Feb, 2014
Eligibility criteria for course of Sub Officer at National Fire Service College was sought - PIO: before 1996, the age limit for sponsoring of persons for the training was 40 years for general candidates with relaxation of 5 years in the case of SC/ST candidates - CIC: provide the eligibility criteria in vogue, for the sponsoring of fire personnel for training course
1. The appellant filed an RTI application with the PIO on 6.2.2013 seeking information about the employees who completed the course of SubOfficer at National Fire Service College, Nagpur from January 2008 to June 2008. In all, information has been sought on three points. The PIO responded pointwise on 13.3.2013
2. However, before receiving the reply of the PIO, the appellant filed her first appeal on 14.3.2013 with the first appellate authority (FAA). No reply of the FAA is available on the file. The appellant approached the Commission on 7.5.2013 in second appeal.
3. The appellant reiterated the three points mentioned in her RTI application of 6.2.2013 and stated that her husband should have been sponsored for the course being run by the National Fire Service College, but he had been denied that opportunity and it was in this context that she had sought information on the three points. The appellant stated that she has received some information, but she has been denied information on some issues.
4. The appellant stated that in particular, she wanted certified copies of the sponsoring letters of the various candidates who appeared in the course. The appellant stated that a number of candidates, who were not eligible as per brochure of the College, have been sent to the course.
5. The respondent stated that whatever information was available with them had been provided. The respondent further stated that there is no information that has been sought and which is available, but which has not been provided. The respondent clarified that copies of sponsoring letters are available with the sponsoring officers and it is their prerogative to select persons for the said training.
6. As regards the eligibility criteria, the respondent clarified that before 1996, the age limit for sponsoring of persons for the training was 40 years for general candidates with relaxation of 5 years in the case of SC/ST candidates. However, after 1996, there is no age bar for sponsoring of the fire personnel for the training to their college. The respondent stated that non-selection of the appellant’s husband to the said training may be due to some other reason and not due to age bar and that the department concerned can only say anything in this regard.
7. The respondent is directed to provide to the appellant, within 30 days of this order, the eligibility criteria in vogue, for the sponsoring of fire personnel for training course in question. The appeal is disposed of. Copy of the decision be given free of cost to both the parties.
Citation: Smt. Sheela Devi v. National Fire Service College in Appeal No. CIC/SS/A/2013/001448/VS