Part information about the casualties during the 1947 Partition was provided - Appellant: MHA have told him to write to separate divisions - CIC: procure the information as available from the relevant divisions and provide it to the appellant
Information about the casualties during the 1947 Partition was sought - Part information was provided while rest was denied stating that it was not maintained - Appellant: MHA have told him to write to separate divisions - CIC: procure the information as available from the relevant divisions and provide it to the appellant
O R D E R
1. The appellant filed an RTI application on 23112012 seeking information about the casualties during the 1947 Partition.
2. The CPIO responded on 1812013. Some information was provided while other information was denied on the ground that it was not maintained by the respondent organization. The appellant filed an appeal with the first appellate authority (FAA) on 2912013. The FAA responded on 632013 and upheld the decision of the CPIO. The appellant approached the Commission on 1042013 in a second appeal.
3. He referred to his RTI application of 23112012 and stated that he wants the following:
(a) the number of casualties resulting from the partition of 1947, including the communitywise breakup;
(b) the number of displaced persons who crossed over from India to Pakistan and from Pakistan to India;
(c) whether any Commission of Enquiry was set up. If so, a detailed report of the Commission set up and its report; and
(d) if there is no enquiry report, the reasons for it.
4. The appellant stated that he has received three letters from MHA on 20122012, 1712013 and 1812013 in which the various departments of MHA have, instead of providing the information, simply told him to write to this division or that division. The appellant stated that he expects the MHA to collect the information from different divisions and provide him the information as available in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
5. The respondent is directed to procure the information as available on the points in para 4 above from the relevant divisions of the MHA and provide it to the appellant within 30 days of this order. Appeal is disposed of. Copy of this order be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Dr. Gulshan Kumar Kathuria v. Ministry of Home Affairs in Decision No. CIC/SS/A/2013/001266/VS/05826