National Commission for Women was asked to provide information relating to notices issued to UP Government in sexual molestation cases - CIC: provide statewise number of cases in which ‘attempt to rape’ was made & where suomoto enquiries were conducted30 Mar, 2014
1. The appellant, Shri Pawan Agrawal, has submitted RTI application dated 5 November 2012, before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), National Commission for Women, New Delhi, seeking information relating to the notices issued to the Government of Uttar Pradesh by the respondent Commission in cases registered relating to the sexual molestation to the women and increase of other offences for the time period between the year 2008 to October 2012 etc. through a total of 2 points.
2. The appellant preferred appeal dated 7 December 2012, to the First Appellate Authority (FAA), when he didn’t receive any reply from the CPIO concerned. No order has been passed by FAA in this case.
3. Being aggrieved and not satisfied by the above response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
4. The appellant, Shri Pawan Agrawal participated in the meeting through video conferencing from Moradabad. Shri Yadunath Singh, legal consultant, National Commission for Women, was present in person in the Commission. The appellant stated that he has not been provided with the information in respect of both the points made in his RTI request. He would, however, be satisfied with the information which is being provided to him with respect to his RTI application dated 5th November 2012 as both the RTI applications are similar in nature.
5. The respondents will send a statewise number of cases in which ‘attempt to rape’ was made.
6. As proposed by the respondent, they will also send the number of cases where suomoto enquiries were conducted by the NCW, statewise.
7. The respondent will send the above information to the appellant within one week of receipt of the order of the Commission.
8. The CPIO and the FAA will both ensure that timely replies are provided to the appellant in future.
Citation: Shri Pawan Agrawal v. National Commission for Women in Appeal: No. CIC/DS/A/2013/000148/MP