Expenses borne by LIC on celebration of Insurance week, Independence Day & Republic Day was denied by PIO claiming that no such data is available - FAA furnished the information partly by finding it out from the ‘trail balance’ - CIC: appeal dismissed
Total expenses borne by LIC on celebration of Insurance week, Independence Day & Republic Day was, denied by PIO claiming that no such data is available with them and no special budget is made available to them for the celebration of Independent day and Republic Day - FAA furnished the information partly by finding it out from their ‘trail balance’ - CIC: appeal dismissed
1. The appellant Shri N. K. Mandal submitted RTI application dated 09 October 2012 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), Life Insurance Corporation of India, Patna; seeking information relating to the total expenses borne by the respondent company on celebration of Insurance week every year from 1957 to 2012, Independence Day & Republic Day from 1980 to 2012 etc. through total of 05 points.
2. Vide CPIO order dated 07 November 2012, CPIO denied the information on the ground that no such data is available with them and no special budget is made available to them for the celebration of Independent day and Republic Day.
3. Not satisfied by the CPIO’s reply, the Appellant preferred appeal to the First Appellate Authority (FAA) dated 09 November 2012.
4. Vide FAA Order dated 05 December 2012, the FAA upheld the CPIO’s decision as that was based on the reply received from the departments concerned. However, FAA also furnished the information sought by the appellant in his RTI application by finding it out from their ‘trail balance’.
5. Being aggrieved and not satisfied by the above response of the Public Authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
6. The matter was heard today via videoconferencing. The appellant Sh. N.K. Mandal was not present at the hearing. The respondent was represented by Ms Vineeta De, Manager, CRM, CPIO from Patna. The CPIO submitted that no financial data / budget is maintained by the Branch office with respect of celebration of Insurance Week every year from 1957 to 2012 i.e. information for about 50 years. The respondents, however provided information year wise from 200910 to 201213 for the celebration of Insurance Week along with its branch wise information, expenses incurred for celebration of Insurance Week for divisional Office Unit only from 200506 to 201213. They also provided information on expenditure incurred by Divisional office on celebrating 26th January and 15th August from Jan 26, 2006 onwards to August 15, 20012 by obtaining it from ‘trail balance’ as no separate data, budget is maintained by the Branch office, Patna. The respondent further submitted that the RTI applicant is an Ex LIC employee and has been filing multiple RTI applications in the Branch Office in the past.
7. The Commission is satisfied that information as held has been provided to the appellant by the CPIO. Hence, the present appeal is dismissed and the case is closed.
Citation: Shri N. K. Mandal v. LIC of India, Patna in Appeal: No. CIC/DS/A/2013/000300/MP