Details regarding affiliated hospitals in Kolkata & notification vide which appellant was issued a fresh Mediclaim Policy - FAA: regarding reduced claim payment, held that RTI is not a forum for grievance redressal - CIC: information has been provided28 Feb, 2014
The Appellant Shri Amal Ranjan Sarbajna has submitted RTI application dated 8 April 2012 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), New India Assurance Company Limited, Kolkata seeking details regarding affiliated hospitals with the Public Authority in Kolkata and documents/notification vide which the Appellant was issued a fresh policy under Mediclaim Policy 2007.
2. Vide order dated 4 July 2012, the CPIO provided partial information in point 4 (b) of the RTI application upon payment of the photocopying charges. In rest of the points, no information as sought is available.
3. The appellant preferred first appeal dated 28 July 2012 to the First Appellate Authority.
4. Vide FAA order dated 6 August 2012, additional information was provided to the appellant. However regarding the reduced claim payment, appellant was informed that the information sought is in the form of grievance and RTI is not a forum for grievance redressal.
5. Being aggrieved and not being satisfied by the above response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
6. The matter was heard today. Shri Amal Ranjan Sarbajna did not attend the hearing. The respondents, Shri Bhaskar Mallick, CPIO, Shri Dheeman Pal, Assistant Manager attended the hearing from Kolkata and Shri Renjith Gangadharan and Dr. Duggal attended the hearing from Mumbai.
7. The respondent stated that they have provided the detailed information as asked for by the appellant to him vide letter and its enclosures dated 26/10/2012. They also stated that the appellant had opted for Mediclaim 2007 Policy and had also paid revised premium for the new policy and therefore, the New India Assurance Co. Ltd had acted as per his acceptance of the new policy.
8. The Commission finds that the information as sought for has been provided to the appellant. The CPIO will however send a copy of their letter dated 26/10/2012 addressed to the appellant to the Commission within ten days of receipt of the order.
Citation: Shri Amal Ranjan Sarbajna v. The New India Assurance Co. Ltd., in Appeal: No. CIC/DS/A/2013/000052/MP