Appointment of External Senior Medical Expert for scrutiny of medical bills was denied u/s 8(1)(g) - CIC: provide a copy of the University order; name of the external medical expert may be deleted as per section 10 to protect the identity of the expert
Vide RTI dt 8.5.13, appellant had sought information on 2 points relating to appointment of External Senior Medical Expert for scrutiny of medical bills submitted by the medical officer and related issues.
2. CPIO vide letter dt 6.6.13, informed the appellant that reply was awaited from concerned section.
3. An appeal was filed on 1.7.13 as no response was provided.
4. AA vide order dt 1.8.13, observed that the CPIO vide letter dt 9.5.13 and reminder dt 6.7.13 was requested to provide the requisite information. FAA directed CPIO to provide the information free of cost.
5. Submissions made by the appellant and public authority were heard. Appellant submitted that information sought should be provided and they would like to know the identity of the external expert appointed by the University. Public authority submitted that disclosure of the names would constitute a threat to the personal safety of the individual and as such the same has been denied, particularly in the light of the vitiated environment prevailing.
6. The Commission directs CPIO to provide a copy of the University order. However, in the light of the threat perception as per submissions made by the public authority, the exemption available under section 8(1)(g) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, there shall be no obligation to give any citizen, information, the disclosure of which would endanger the life or physical safety of any person or identify the source of information or assistance given in confidence for law enforcement or security purposes; may be availed and name of the external medical expert may be deleted as per section 10 of the RTI Act. A specific response be also provided in respect of query no.2 as to whether any such rule exists or not. The above directions be complied with within ten days from the date of receipt of this order. The appeal is disposed of.
Central Information Commissioner
Citation: Dr. Ishwar Chand Bidyasagar v. Central University of Jharkhand in File No. CIC/RM/A/2013/001028