State level review of RTI Act in Odisha on 5th October
A State-level Public Review on “Implementation of RTI Act and Functioning of Information Commission in Odisha” is planned at Red Cross Bhawan, Bhubaneswar on 5.10.12 from 10 AM. Many retired bureaucrats, NGOs, lawyers, Journalists, RTI-users, RTI Activists and students are likely to participate in this meeting and present their issues and solutions. As per Mr. Pradip Pradhan, the meeting is likely to discuss:
- How the citizens can exercise their right to access information.
- Disposal of cases by the Commission without hearing and without ensuring the delivery of information.
- How to ensure quick and early supply of information to all.
- The issues which act as a stumbling block in ensuring the delivery of information.
- The functioning of the Information Commission in Odisha like imposing not any penalty on erring PIOs.
- Follow up of complaints to Hon’ble Governor, Odisha demanding an enquiry into functioning of the Commission.
- Problems due to a complicated and prohibitive compulsory Application Form which is discouraging a large number of common people could not exercise their rights under the Act.
- Collection of fees from BPL people towards the cost of information by Odisha Information Commission and State Government which is against the Section 7(5).
- A declining trend in respect of submission RTI Applications seeking information.