A retired railway employee stated that he is due for fixed medical allowance of Rs.300/- per month but the railways is not providing to him fixed medical allowance - CIC: Inform why he has not been allowed the fixed medical allowance of Rs.300 per month
1. The appellant filed an RTI application dated 09.01.2013 seeking information in connection with grant of fixed medical allowance to retired railway employees. The appellant filed first appeal dated 11.03.2013 with the first appellate authority (FAA). The response of PIO and FAA is not available on record. The appellant filed second appeal dated 08.06.2013 with the Commission.
2. The appellant and the respondent both participated in the hearing personally.
3. The appellant referred to his RTI application dated 09.01.2013 and reiterated the 4 points mentioned in the RTI application. The appellant stated that he is due for fixed medical allowance of Rs.300/- per month but the railways is not providing to him fixed medical allowance. The appellant further stated that requisite entry has also not been made in the PPO issued to him. The appellant said that when he made an enquiry with the respondent organisation, the respondent asked him to stop going to the OPD if he has to get the fixed medical allowance.
4. The respondent stated that it is the understanding of the respondent that the fixed medical allowance is given when the medical facility which the appellant is taking from OPD in the railway’s dispensary ceases.
5. The appellant stated that what the respondent is saying is wrong. The appellant said that those retired railways employees who have chronic diseases like heart ailment, diabetes etc. and there are 19 ailments like this, they are eligible for both the facilities, and the two facilities are treatment from the railway hospital as well as the fixed medical allowance.
6. The appellant stated that he has in hand an order dated 07.06.2011 of Ministry of Railway, Railway Board in which it has been stated that the pensioners and family pensioners availing OPD facility for chronic diseases are not deprived of the fixed medical allowance.
7. The appellant said that he wants to know the following:
i) why he has not been allowed the fixed medical allowance of Rs.300 per month.
ii) why the order dated 07.06.2011 cited above has not been made applicable in his case taking into account that he is suffering from chronic diabetes.
8. The respondent is directed to provide to the appellant, within 30 days of this order, information on para 7 above. The appeal is disposed of. Copy of decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Raja Ram Nirmal V. Northern Railway in Decision Zo.CIC/BS/A/2013/001620/VS/09006