Respondent reported after the hearing was over - CIC: Provide the names and marks obtained by the selected candidates who were called for interview; Provide the date of issuance of selection letter to the first candidate and the last selected candidate
1. The appellant filed RTI application dated 16.05.2016 seeking information regarding names of candidates called for interview from Mechanical Engineering discipline, their category, GATE score, etc.(as per the format given in RTI application); how many times result was announced and by which mode, etc.
2. The CPIO responded on 21.06.2016. The appellant filed first appeal on 17.06.2016 and 05.07.2016 with the First Appellate Authority (FAA). The response of FAA is not on record. The appellant filed a second appeal on 11.08.2016 and 02.09.2016 before the Commission on the ground that information should be provided to him.
3. The appellant participated in the hearing through audio-call. The respondent reported in the office of the Commission after the hearing was over and thus could not participate in the hearing.
4. The appellant in his appeal referred to his RTI application dated 16.05.2016 and stated that no information was provided to him by the respondent.
5. The appellant stated that the respondent has wrongly denied the information to him under Section 8(1)(j) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, there shall be no obligation to give any citizen, information which relates to personal information the disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity or interest, or which would cause unwarranted invasion of the privacy of the individual unless the Central Public Information Officer or the State Public Information Officer or the appellate authority, as the case may be, is satisfied that the larger public interest justifies the disclosure of such information: Provided that the information which cannot be denied to the Parliament or a State Legislature shall not be denied to any person. of the RTI Act, 2005.
6. The Commission is of the view that the respondent should give information to the appellant regarding the names and marks obtained by the selected candidates (from Mechanical Engineering discipline) who were called for interview and date of issuance of selection letter (2015-16) to the first candidate and the last selected candidate.
7. The respondent is directed to comply with para no. 6 above, within 15 days from the date of receipt of this order. The appeal is disposed of. Copy of the order be given to the parties free of cost.
(Radha Krishna Mathur)
Chief Information Commissioner
Citation: Sh. Amir Chand v. Indian Oil Corporation Limited in Appeal No. CIC/SH/A/2016/001684, Date of Decision: 14.11.2017