Provisions regulating the practice of the relatives, sons and friends of Hon’ble Supreme Court Judges, record of Letter petitions of the PIL section and other related information - CIC: provide air travel expenses of the Judges of SC for 2007-12
1. RTI application dated 22 The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in the Official Secrets Act, 1923 (19 of 1923), and any other law for the time being in force or in any instrument having effect by virtue of any law other than this Act. November 2012 was submitted by the applicant before the CPIO, Supreme Court of India, New Delhi, to obtain information with regard to the provisions regulating the practice of the relatives, sons and friends of Hon’ble Supreme Court Judges, other information related to their practice before the SC Judges, assets and properties of the Chief Justice of India and other Justices of Supreme Court, air travel expenses of the Judges of SC and record of Letter petitions of the PIL section and other related information through 11 points, on the basis of news published in newspaper “Hindustan”. .
2. Vide CPIO order dated 3 January 2013, point wise information was provided to the appellant which failed to satisfy him and he preferred appeal dated 16 January 2013 before the FAA.
3. Matter was decided vide FAA order dated 1 March 2013, by which the FAA held that there is no merit in the appeal and accordingly dismissed the appeal.
4. Not satisfied with the order of the FAA, appellant had preferred the second appeal before the Commission.
5. Matter was heard today. Both parties as above appeared in person and made submissions.
6. After hearing both parties Commission directs as follows:
Point 8: Appellant has clarified that the period for which information is sought is 2007 – 12. Now, CPIO is directed to provide information pertaining to the official journeys undertaken by air in the format as held by the public authority.
Point 10: CPIO will provide information for the past five years as held by the public authority.
Point 11: The Appellant will be provided with information regarding the designation of the concerned official along with his telephone number as sought under this point.
7. Information as above to be provided within three weeks of receipt of the order.
(Smt. Deepak Sandhu)
Chief Information Commissioner
Citation: Shri Gaurav Agarwal v. Supreme Court of India in Appeal: No. CIC/SM/A/2013/000616/DS