Maharashtra tries to recreate the files lost in the Mantralaya fire
The fire at the Maharashtra mantralaya led to a loss of nearly 4.82 crore data pages. While 63,349 files were destroyed, nearly 2,000 computers were burnt leading to destruction of many soft copies.
Information provided to a RTI applicant has revealed that 6,339 files have been recreated by various state departments out of the nearly the 63,349 files destroyed by fire. According to the data provided to RTI applicant of Anil Galgali, it has come to light that:
- The general administration department has recreated 717 of the 19,719 files destroyed in fire;
- The planning department has recreated 289 files of the 1,613 destroyed in fire;
- The urban development department (I) has recreated 282 of the 1,433 burnt in fire;
- The urban development department (II) has recreated 161 of the 3,493 files destroyed in fire;
- The revenue department has recreated 3,717 files out of the 5,803 lost in fire; and
- The industries department has recreated 31 of the 12,454 files destroyed due to fire.
This statistics indicates that in the 7 months following the incident, the departments have succeeded in recreating nearly 10 % of the files destroyed in fire.