List of clients to whom Home loan was granted from 1.1.2000 to 31.3.2010, date & interest rate at which it was allowed was denied u/s 8(1)(d), (e) & (j) - CIC: provide the number of loans sanctioned by SBBJ, Devgarh Branch along with the rate of interest
1. The appellant, Shri Saheb Lal, has submitted the RTI application dated 20 October 2012 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, Bhilwara, seeking information pertaining to the list of clients to whom Home loan was granted from 1.1.2000 to 31. 3.2010, date and interest rate at which it was allowed and the date, amount and interest rate at which the home loan was granted to his elder brother, Shri Manohar lal.
2. Vide letter dated 31 December 2012, the CPIO denied the information by claiming exemption under Section 8 (1)(d)(e) & (j) of the RTI Act, 2005. Not satisfied by the CPIO’s reply, the appellant preferred an appeal dated 24 December 2012 to the first appellate authority (FAA). Vide order dated 02 January 2013, the FAA upheld the CPIO’s order.
3. Not quite satisfied by the FAA’ order, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission for wrongfully denying the information.
4. The matter was heard today via videoconferencing. The appellant, Shri Saheb Lal, was present at the hearing and made submissions from Rajasmand. The respondent, Shri S. K. Sharma, AGM/CPIO was present at Udaipur.
5. The appellant submitted that he sought information regarding the detail of the customers to whom the loan was granted along with their names and interest rate. It was further submitted that the rate of interest applicable in general has been obtained by him from the Head Office of the public authority.
6. The CPIO submitted that details of the clients (including appellant’s brother) to whom the loan was granted along with the interest rate and names may not be provided as the same stands as ‘personal information’ of third party and thus attracts Section 8(1)(j) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, there shall be no obligation to give any citizen, information which relates to personal information the disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity or interest, or which would cause unwarranted invasion of the privacy of the individual unless the Central Public Information Officer or the State Public Information Officer or the appellate authority, as the case may be, is satisfied that the larger public interest justifies the disclosure of such information: Provided that the information which cannot be denied to the Parliament or a State Legislature shall not be denied to any person. of the RTI Act, 2005. The CPIO, however, proposed to provide the Number of loans sanctioned by the SBBJ, Devgarh Branch along with the rate of interest for the period 1 April 200431 March 2005.
7. The Commission directs the CPIO to provide Number of loans sanctioned by the SBBJ, Devgarh Branch along with the rate of interest for the period 1 April 200431 March 2005 to the appellant within 15 days of the receipt of the order of the Commission.
Citation: Shri Saheb Lal v. State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur in Appeal: No. CIC/VS/A/2013/000397/MP