Large number of Bangladeshi illegal immigrants apprehended by Delhi Police
As per reply provided by Delhi Police to an applicant who filed an application under the Right to Information (RTI) Act, a total of 6,942 Bangladeshi were either arrested or handed over to Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) during the last five years for deportation.
As per the reply provided to H R Bansal, no illegal Bangladeshi was residing in New Delhi district while other districts had no record. The break-up of figures for the different parts of Delhi district is as under:
- North Delhi district - 1,369 immigrants were apprehended of which 1,360 were sent to FRRO while nine were arrested for their involvement in crime.
- South Delhi district - 3,419, were apprehended and handed over to FRRO,
- Central district - 344 were apprehended,
- South West district - 660 were apprehended,
- Outer district - 47 were apprehended,
- South East - 200 were apprehended, and
- West district - 903 were apprehended.
There have been reports of illegal immigrants in any parts of the country.