Information was sought about personal loan etc. - CIC: provide the number of those who had taken personal loan and out of this the number of people who took insurance from SBI Life Insurance and the number who defaulted as payment of premium
1. The appellant, Shri Mahendra Kumar Tailor, submitted RTI application dated 6 October 2012 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, Nainwan; seeking information regarding rules pertaining to mandatory purchase of insurance policy in case of taking personal loan and other loan etc., through a total of 4 points.
2. Vide reply dated 31 October 2012, CPIO furnished information to the appellant on point nos. 1 to 3 and denied information on point no. 4 u/s 8(1)(d), (e) & (j) of the RTI Act, 2005. Not satisfied with the CPIO’s reply on point no. 4, the appellant preferred appeal dated 12 November 2012 to the first appellate authority (FAA) alleging that he had been provided incomplete information by the CPIO concerned. Vide order dated 19 November 2012, FAA upheld the CPIO’s decision.
3. Not satisfied with the response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
4. The matter was heard today. The appellant had desired to know whether it was compulsory to take SBI Life Insurance while taking personal loan or any other loan along with copy of rules, if any, the number of people who had taken loan and out of these how many were insured, the amount to be charged for providing the copy of RTGS form and photo copies of action taken in all cases where loan payment was not made along with the details of those of their family who were given loan, etc.
5. The respondents submitted that they had given him reply on all the points and informed that the appellant was asking for information about the account holders, which is third party information and it cannot be provided as per RBI circular no. 201213/ 50 dated 2 July 2012. The respondents added that the customers and bankers relationship arises out of a contract and they have to maintain commercial confidence about such information.
6. The information as held by the public authority has been provided. However, with reference to point 2 of the RTI application, the respondents will provide the number of those who had taken personal loan and out of this the number of people who took insurance from SBILI and the number who defaulted as payment of premium within 10 days of the receipt of the order of the Commission. The appeal is disposed of.
Citation: Shri Mahendra Kumar Tailor v. State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur in Appeal: No. CIC/VS/A/2013/001378/MP