Information in respect of professional qualifications of Railway Doctors - Appellant: those who use the facilities should have knowledge about the person treating them - CIC: disclose the qualifications & posts held by doctors along with MCI guidelines
O R D E R
1. The appellant filed an RTI application on 27-6-2012 seeking information in respect of academic / professional qualifications of Railway Doctors.
2. The CPIO responded on 16-7-2012. The appellant filed an appeal with the first appellate authority (FAA) on 22-7-2012. The FAA did not respond. The appellant approached the Commission on 20-11-2012 in a second appeal.
3. Both the parties were present during the hearing.
4. The appellant referred to his RTI application of 27-6-2012 and stated that in his RTI application he was seeking information in respect of educational qualifications of the doctors working in the Railways.
5. The appellant stated that he wants the following information:
(a) the educational qualifications of the doctors posted in the Railway Board;
(b) the educational qualifications of the doctors posted in the department of health in the office of the Northern Railways, Baroda House;
(c) the educational qualifications of the doctors posted in the Central Hospital of the Northern Railway; and
(d) educational qualifications of the doctors posted in the Divisional Hospital, Northern Railway, Delhi.
6. The appellant stated that the information which the respondent could have given easily was not given to him.
7. The respondent stated that every effort is made for ensuring the correct signages and information boards to ensure that the public and patients are fully informed about the facility they are using. The respondent also stated that the effort is to ensure that the best use is made of the facilities that are available.
8. The respondent stated that they are following the MCI guidelines in so far as the postings of the medical practitioners specialization / professional qualifications are concerned.
9. The respondent stated that they have provided information on points 2, 3 and 4 but the information on point 1 is yet to be provided which will be provided in the next week.
10. The appellant stated that the information which he is seeking is for the purpose of getting the facts about the professional qualifications of the doctors working in the medical establishments with a view to ensuring that this gets into the public domain which would also support the postings and assignments that correspond with the doctor’s qualifications. The appellant said that another purpose is to ensure that those who use the facilities should have knowledge about the person who is treating them. It was also stated that this would ensure that the skills are used in an optimum manner.
11. The respondent is directed to provide to the appellant, within 30 days of this order, the information as available about the qualifications and posts held by the railway doctors as sought in the RTI application along with the MCI guidelines referred to in para 8 above. Appeal is disposed of. Copy of this order be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Pooran Chand Agarwal v. Ministry of Railways in DecisionNo.CIC/AD/A/2012/003763/VS/06391