Information regarding purchase of computer was denied stating that the records were maintained at 1300 Branches - CIC: provide information regarding the items that are purchased without calling for global tenders and those purchased from open market
1. The appellant, Shri Ajay Kumar, submitted RTI application dated April 30, 2014 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), State Bank of Patiala, Patiala seeking information regarding purchase of computer hardware/software etc. in Head Office, through a total of 16 points.
2. The CPIO furnished a point wise reply to the appellant vide letter dated May 27, 2014. Not satisfied with the reply given by the CPIO concerned, the appellant preferred an appeal dated June 9, 2014 to the first appellate authority (FAA) alleging that he had been given incorrect & incomplete information. Vide order dated June 16, 2014, the FAA upheld the decision of the CPIO and directed him to provide additional information on point 5, 10 & 14 of the RTI application.
3. Dissatisfied with the response of the public authority, the appellant preferred the present appeal before the Commission.
4. The matter was heard by the Commission. The appellant was not present in spite of a notice of hearing having been issued to him. The respondents stated that information as available had been provided to the appellant. They stated that additional information was given to the appellant on 30.6.2014. The respondents added that the information sought pertained to the records that were maintained at Branch level and not at the Head Office. There were 1300 branches and records were voluminous in nature therefore it was a huge task to collect information from each branch and also involved avoidable diversion of precious resources.
5. The Commission directs the respondents to give a clear reply with respect to point iv regarding the items that are purchased without calling for global tenders and those purchased from open market (retail) and with reference to point v & xv to the extent available with the respondents within fifteen days of the receipt of the order of the Commission. The appeal is disposed of.
Citation: Shri Ajay Kumar v. State Bank of Patiala in Appeal No. CIC/MP/A/2014/00135