Information regarding the police force in India for a particular period & police force used for VIPs was sought - Respondent: such records are not maintained in MHA - CIC: procure information from the Bureau of Police Research & Development & provide
1. The appellant filed an application dated 31.12.2012 under the RTI Act seeking information regarding the police force in India for a particular period and police force used for VIPs. CPIO vide letter dated 24.01.2013 transferred the application to concerned departments. Appellant filed first appeal with the first appellate authority (FAA) on 06.02.2013. FAA vide order dated 14.03.2013 upheld the decision of the CPIO. Appellant filed this present appeal on 22.08.2013.
2. Respondent was present before the Commission.
3. Respondent referred to the RTI application of the appellant and stated that the appellant was seeking information regarding the police force in India for a particular period and the police force used for VIPs.
4. Respondent stated that the information sought by the appellant was not readily available with the respondent. Respondent stated that they also did not maintain such records in the unit of MHA, only the Bureau of Police Research and Development and concerned police station would have maintained such records.
5. Respondent stated that they had informed the appellant accordingly to obtain the information from the concerned police departments.
6. Appellant did not participate in the hearing.
7. Respondent must procure the information, as available, from the Bureau of Police Research and Development and provide it to the appellant.
8. Respondent is directed to take action as para 7 above, within 30 days of this order. The appeal is disposed of. Copy of decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Freddy Pereira v. M/o Home Affairs, in Decision No.CIC/SS/A/2013/001999/VS/06954