Information about the action taken by the Government regarding the release of Shri Sarabjit Singh who was imprisoned in Pakistan Jail - RTI application transferred to Ministry of External Affairs by Ministry of Home Affairs – CIC: provide information
1. The appellant filed an application dated 25.06.2012 under the RTI Act, seeking information about the action taken by the Government regarding the release of Shri Sarabjit Singh who was imprisoned in Pakistan Jail. RTI application was transferred to Ministry of External Affairs on 04.07.2012. Appellant filed first appeal with the first appellate authority (FAA) on 23.08.2012. Copy of the FAA is not enclosed. Appellant filed this present second appeal on 10.12.2012.
2. Appellant and respondent were present before the Commission.
3. Appellant referred to his RTI application and stated that he was seeking information about the action taken by the Government of India regarding the release of Shri Sarabjit Singh from a Pakistan Jail.
4. Appellant stated that he filed the RTI application with Ministry of Home Affairs initially and then it was transferred to Ministry of External Affairs. Appellant stated that thereafter he filed an appeal before the Ministry of External Affairs but he did not receive any reply.
5. Appellant stated that the respondent was violating the provisions under RTI Act by not replying to the application on time.
6. Respondent stated that a detailed reply had already been sent to the appellant vide letter dated 03.08.2013. Respondent stated that the Government had intervened from time to time at all diplomatic levels for the release and repatriation of Shri Sarabjit Singh.
7. Respondent stated that there was no delay in replying to the RTI application of the appellant by the CPIO of Ministry of External Affairs. Respondent stated that probably the delay was due to transit.
8. Respondent stated that the issue of Shri Sarabjit Singh was well known in the country and there was no reason to hide any information from the appellant. Respondent stated that the copy of the reply would be provided to the appellant.
9. Respondent is directed to provide to the appellant, within 30 days of this order, the information on the RTI application as available with the respondent taking into account para 8 above. The appeal is disposed of. Copy of decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Chander Mohan v. Ministry of External Affairs in Decision No.CIC/SS/A/2013/000213/VS/05951