Five vacancies of Central Information Commission to be filled
A high-powered committee headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh approved five names for the appointment of information commissioners (ICs) yesterday. It has been reported that the individuals selected are:
1. Former high commissioner in Pakistan Sharat Sabbarwal, Indian Foreign Service (1975 batch)
2. Secretary (security) Yashovardhan Azad, Indian Foreign Service (1975 batch - MP Cadre)
3. Former Department of Posts secretary Manjula Parashar, (Indian Postal Service, 1975 batch)
4. Professor Madabhushi Sridhar Acharyulu, professor of law at National Academy of Legal Studies and Research in Hyderabad and
5. Former joint secretary (Department of Justice) M A Khan Yusufi.
The list does not include any member of the civil society. The eligibility for appointment as the information commissioner includes that persons of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass media or administration and governance. The Prime Minister, Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha and one Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister select the candidates.