Documents submitted for obtaining a ration card were denied claiming they were not available - CIC: in larger public interest computerized record of ration card to be furnished; submit affidavit stating no other records are held pertaining to the matter
1. Appellant submitted RTI application dated 9 May 2012 before the CPIO, Department of Food, Supplies and Consumer Affairs (GNCT), New Delhi seeking details regarding the documents submitted by Shri Jaiveer Singh for obtaining his Ration Card.
2. CPIO Vide order dated 14 May, 2012 returned the RTI Application as the IPO was not filed as per the correct procedures prescribed the RTI Act.
3. Vide Order dated 14 June 2012, Appellant was informed by the CPIO that documents sought are not available in the office.
4. Appellant preferred first Appeal to the First Appellate Authority.
5. Vide Order dated 31 July 2012, FAA allowed Appellant to inspect the Concerned file(s).
6. Being aggrieved and not being satisfied by the above response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
7. Matter was heard today. Both parties as above appeared in person and made submissions.
8. After hearing both the parties Commission is satisfied that disclosure of information in the present case is in the larger public interest and directs the CPIO to provide the appellant with a legible attested photocopy of the computerized record of the ration card of Shri Jaiveer Singh as requested in the RTI application.
9. Further, CPIO is directed to forward a copy of Commission’s order to the ‘third party’ Shri Jaiveer Singh informing him the outcome of the present case in the light of “Larger Public Interest” 9. The CPIO will also provide affidavit to the Commission with copy to the appellant that there are no other records held by the public authority pertaining to the matter of the RTI application (regarding issue of ration card to Shri Jaiveer Singh).
10. Information as above to be provided and action as above to be completed within two weeks of receipt of the order.
(Smt. Deepak Sandhu)
Chief Information Commissioner
Citation: Shri Madan Singh v. Department of Food & Supplies & Consumer Affairs in Appeal: No. CIC/AD/A/2012/002971/DS