Documents submitted for appointment on compassionate grounds denied u/s 8(1)(j) – CIC: Provide copy of the educational qualifications of appointee and the death certificate of her late husband on the basis of which she was given appointment
1. Applicant submitted RTI application dated 29 September 2012 before the CPIO, LIC of India, Salem to obtain information regarding the documents submitted by Smt Indrani for appointment on compassionate grounds etc through 12 points.
2. Vide CPIO order dated 4 October 2012, disclosure of information was denied under the provisions of section 8(1)(j) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, there shall be no obligation to give any citizen, information which relates to personal information the disclosure of which has no relationship to any public activity or interest, or which would cause unwarranted invasion of the privacy of the individual unless the Central Public Information Officer or the State Public Information Officer or the appellate authority, as the case may be, is satisfied that the larger public interest justifies the disclosure of such information: Provided that the information which cannot be denied to the Parliament or a State Legislature shall not be denied to any person. of the Act.
3. Being aggrieved and not being satisfied by the above orders, appellant preferred appeal dated 8 October 2012 before the first appellate authority who disposed of the matter vide FAA order dated 3 November 2012 by providing part information.
4. Appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
5. Matter was heard today via videoconferencing from Salem where respondents as above were present. Appellant was heard from Namakkal. Appellant submitted that he seeks to have copy of the documents indicating the educational qualifications of Smt Indrani and also the death certificate of her late husband on the basis of which she was given appointment on compassionate grounds by the LIC of India. In his plea, appellant submitted that he was relying on the previous orders of the Commission whereby information had been directed to be disclosed.
6. After hearing both parties Commission directs the CPIO to provide attested photo copies of the documents which establish the educational qualifications of Smt Indrani along with a photocopy of the death certificate of her late husband. Disclosure of these documents is allowed by the Commission on the grounds that the furnishing of these documents laid the foundation for qualifying for appointment to post on compassionate grounds in the public authority by the third party.
7. Information as above be provided within two weeks of receipt of the order.
(Smt. Deepak Sandhu)
Information Commissioner (DS)
Citation - Shri Rajasekaran M. Namakkal v. LIC of India, Salem (TN) Appeal: No.CIC/DS/A/2012/002489