Did the bank branch manager give a concessional rate of commission at his own level in a particular transaction and, if yes, whether the confirmation from the competent authority was taken - CIC: provide information regarding the bank transaction
O R D E R
1. The appellant filed an RTI application on 3-9-2012 seeking information on four counts relating to commission on bank guarantee.
2. The CPIO responded on 10-10-2012, providing information to the appellant. The appellant filed an appeal with the first appellate authority (FAA) on 28-10-2012. The FAA responded on 12-11-2012 and concurred with the views of the CPIO. The appellant approached the Commission on 24-12-2012 in a second appeal.
3. I heard both the parties through videoconferencing.
4. The appellant referred to his RTI application of 3-9-2012 and stated that his focus essentially was on understanding the manner in which the branch manager had provided concessional rate of commission on a particular transaction specified in the RTI application pertaining to the year 2002. The appellant stated that the information is yet to be provided to him.
5. The respondent stated that it is wrong for the appellant to say why the information has not been provided because the information was provided on 10-10-2012. The respondent said that the information was given despite the fact that the records were quite old and according to the bank’s record retention schedule also records are not kept but they made an effort and also informed the appellant that the branch manager had taken the decision on his own but subsequently had got it confirmed by the competent authority.
6. The appellant stated that the respondent has not provided the information which he was seeking. The appellant said that he was seeking information about a transaction made on 15-4-2002 but the respondent has instead of providing information of 15-4-2002 provided information about a transaction made on 16-10-2003.
7. The respondent stated that he will provide the information that is being sought by the appellant, i.e., pertaining to 15-4-2002 within 15 days.
8. The appellant summarized the information that he was seeking as follows: in context of the transaction on 15-4-2002 whether the branch manager of the respondent bank had given a concessional rate of commission at his own level and, if yes, was the confirmation from the competent authority taken.
9. The respondent is directed to provide to the appellant, within 30 days of this order, the information mentioned in para 8 above in context of the RTI application. Appeal is disposed of. Copy of this order be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Jagdish Prasad v. Punjab National Bank CO in Decision No.CIC/VS/A/2013/000330/05693