Details of bank account belonging to appellant’s deceased maternal grandmother was sought stating that he was the nominee in that account - PIO: the nomination was changed; denied the information u/ss. 8(1)(d), (e), & (j) - CIC: appeal dismissed
1. The appellant, Shri Madan Singh Sankhla, submitted RTI application dated 25 June 2011 before the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO), State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur, Jodhpur; seeking information regarding the details of A/c No. 51004082130 belonging to his deceased maternal grandmother, Smt. Rami Devi W/o late Shri Nainu Ram Gehlot stating that the appellant was nominee in that account.
2. Vide reply dated 16 July 2011, CPIO denied the information u/ss. 8(1)(d), (e), & (j) of the RTI Act, 2005. Not satisfied with the CPIO’s reply, the appellant preferred appeal dated 30 July 2011 to the first appellate authority (FAA), alleging that he had not been provided correct information by the CPIO concerned. No order had been passed by the FAA in this case.
3. Not satisfied with the response of the public authority, the appellant preferred second appeal before the Commission.
4. The matter was heard today via videoconferencing. The appellant, Shri Madan Singh Sankhla was not present at the hearing. The respondent, Shri N.N. Biswas, AGM/CPIO and Shri Sanjeev Mathur, Law Officer made submissions from Jodhpur.
5. The appellant had stated in his written submission that no information had been provided.
6. The CPIO submitted that information sought may not be provided as it is third party information and is exempt under section 8 (1) (j) of the RTI act, 2005. Also, the appellant was the nominee for the bank account which stood in the name of late Smt Rani Devi. However, on 14.12.2010 the nomination was changed in the name of Shri Lal Singh. Hence, presently the appellant is not the nominee. The respondent added that the information is held by the public authority in fiduciary capacity, is a matter of commercial confidence beside being third party information and hence, desired under Section 8(1) (d), (e) & (j) of the RTI Act, 2005.
8. The Commission accepts the CPIOs submission and dismisses the appeal. The appeal is dismissed.
Citation: Shri Madan Singh Sankhla v. State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur in Appeal: No. CIC/DS/A/2011/003655/MP