CPGRAMS has turned out to be merely an exhibitive ritual
Sub: FUNCTIONING OF CPGRAMS PORTAL - A TOLERANCE TEST
I have gone through the partial data furnished recently by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances which reflects a murky picture of disposal of Public Grievances by Public Authorities. Though the prescribed period for disposal of grievances has been fixed 60 days but the average time taken in even flimsy and formal disposal of a grievance works out more than 14 months therefore the grievances do continue to proliferate year by year. In many cases the departments have been turned totally indifferent to public aspirations and the Grievances have been burgeoning during the year in question. For example the grievances older than 12 months against:
· Department of Defence – 3614 Ex-servicemen Welfare stood -1583 ( Shows that those serving the motherland at Border are not given Due respect) ,
· Ministry of Home- 1402 (Police excesses are out of Control),
· Ministry of Human Resources- 7015 (the quality of HRD is poor and controlling mechanism is corrupted),
· Ministry of Labour-1211 (Labourers are not protected),
· CBDT-1891 (Revenue matters are not being dealt promptly, honestly and corrupts are being rescued and shielded),
· Pension and Pensioners Welfare- 7731 (Senior Citizens are being discarded),
· Ministry of Railways-1147 (Railway is discomfortable) and so on..... It looks as if the Functions of Governance have been auctioned on tender bid or leased out at a very high and Lucrative Price!
It is evident that the functioning of the system has belied public expectations and the CPGRAMS has turned merely an exhibitive ritual. Stricter measures are need of the hour to tackle the failures, and not only the numerical figures but the quality of disposal/settlement requires monitoring at the Ministry Level. In some cases the grievances are closed abruptly without appropriate reconciliation and by putting stereo type vague remarks like “closed”, “does not fall within the scheme” etc. The mechanism must be strengthened and made effective. The Department wise monthly position be reviewed in regular monthly meetings preferably on third Friday of each month to infuse transparency. Disciplinary actions be also initiated wherever warranted and deadwood, if any, must be weeded out under Golden Handshake Scheme like in PSUs. A reminder system be also included to be activated Automatically after 30 days where the grievance has not been settled amicably.
Mani Ram Sharma