Claiming that his bills have not been cleared by railways, certain information was sought including particulars of officer responsible for passing final bills - tracing the files pertaining to 2000 led to delay - CIC: show cause notice for penalty issued
1. The appellant filed an application dated 14.02.2012 under the RTI Act seeking information regarding the passing of final bills. CPIO did not respond to the RTI application of the appellant. Appellant filed first appeal with the first appellate authority (FAA) on 29.03.2012. FAA responded on 26.04.2012. Appellant filed this present second appeal on 16.10.2012.
2. Appellant and respondent participated in the hearing through video conferencing.
3. Appellant referred to his RTI application and stated that he was seeking information regarding the particulars of the officer responsible for passing final bills for the works executed.
4. Appellant stated he was a contractor for construction in Railways. Appellant stated that he had submitted the bills after completion of work but the Railways had not cleared his bills.
5. Appellant stated that he wanted to know what was the reason for not clearing the bills and who was responsible for it.
6. Respondent stated that the information sought by the appellant was of 2000 to 2005 and the file could not be located. Respondent stated that recently they have traced the files pertaining to the appellant’s pending bills and accordingly had given a reply to the queries raised by the appellant in the RTI application. This was done on 21.02.2014.
7. Appellant stated that the reply sent by the respondent on 21.02.2014 was misleading and incomplete information. Appellant stated that he wanted to know when the amount of his bill will be paid.
8. Respondent is directed to:
(a) provide to the appellant the information sought in the RTI application;
(b) show cause why action should not be taken against the respondent for contravening the timelines prescribed in the RTI Act; and
(c) comply with the above within 30 days from this order.
The appeal is disposed of. Copy of decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Jaspal Singh Pratap Singh v. Central Railway in Decision No.CIC/AD/A/2012/003430/VS/06299