Can anyone be paid higher that the governor in the state service?
Instances where the subordinate staff drawing more salary that their bosses are quite uncommon anywhere. The Constitution of India mandates that no one in the state service can be paid than the governor. However, information obtained using the Right to Information (RTI) Act has shown that there are some cases where it is not so in Karnataka.
According to 6th Pay Commission, the monthly salary of the President is Rs 1.5 lakh while that of the Governor is Rs 1.1 lakh.
- Governor’s Legal adviser MR Hegde draws a gross monthly salary of Rs 1,43,843, which is Rs 33,843 more than the gross amount of Rs 1.1 lakh that Governor HR Bhardwaj draws.
- The secretary to the governor BS Ramaprasad draws a gross monthly salary of Rs 1,31,880, which is Rs 21,880 more than drawn by Shri Bhardwaj.
The details of some of the expenditure incurred since Shri Bhardwaj took over as Governor in June 29, 2009 till June, 2013 are:
- 18 sweepers together draw a monthly salary of Rs 2,56,929, the highest individual monthly salary being Rs 21,748.
- 23 kitchen staff draws Rs 3,83,881 as combined salary every month, the highest individual salary being Rs 27,586.
- The amount spent on his tour expenses has been Rs 43,14,719 with the petrol bills adding up to Rs 1,60,70,063, more by Rs 1.17 crore.