Appellant: his client had defaulted in the payment of maintenance to his wife & on order of the court, it was deducted directly from the salary - Appellant asked for the cheque clearance details & a copy of the nominee document - CIC: provide it
1. The appellant filed an application dated 06.09.2012 under the RTI Act seeking information regarding the reason for not sending certain cheques. CPIO responded on 11.10.2012. Appellant filed first appeal with the first appellate authority (FAA) on 14.12.2012. FAA vide order dated 08.03.2013 directed the CPIO to provide complete information to the appellant. Appellant filed this present appeal on 17.05.2013.
2. Appellant participated in the hearing through video conferencing. Respondent was present before the Commission.
3. Appellant referred to the RTI application and stated that he was seeking information regarding the reason for not sending certain cheques.
4. Appellant stated that his client was an employee of the respondent organisation. Appellant stated that a competent court passed an order for payment of maintenance to an employee’s wife who was separated. Appellant stated that the employee had defaulted in the payment of maintenance to the wife. Appellant stated that the competent court passed an order to recover the maintenance amount and it was to be deducted directly from the employee’s salary in ten instalment.
5. Appellant stated that ten cheques were issued in the name of his wife by the respondent organisation but only six cheques had been cleared. Appellant stated that in this light he wanted to know the following:
(a) progress made in the recovery; and
(b) name of the nominee.
6. Respondent stated that they had already issued 10 cheques in the name of the wife in question but one cheque had returned. Respondent stated that they had issued another fresh cheque in the name of the wife. Respondent provided the name of the nominee during the hearing.
7. Appellant stated that he wanted to have a copy of the nominee document and the cheque clearance details.
8. The appellant must be provided the information sought in para 7 above.
9. Respondent is directed to:
(a) provide to the appellant the information sought in para 5 and 7 above;
(b) enable the appellant to inspect the relevant files and provide photocopies; and
(c) comply the above within 30 days of this order.
The appeal is disposed of. Copy of decision be given free of cost to the parties.
Citation: Shri Kuldeep Singh Tanwar v. Northern Railway Divisional Office in Decision No. CIC/AD/A/2013/001758/VS/08780